programs designed to help achieve and maintain a vibrant, mixed-income community in East Liberty.
Circles Greater Pittsburgh
Circles Greater Pittsburgh is a non-profit organization working to end generational poverty in Pittsburgh by helping people gain access to resources and support through cross-socioeconomic relationships. Circles Greater Pittsburgh currently has three operating sites: Circles East Liberty, sponsored by Open Hand Ministries, Circles Homewood, sponsored by Homewood Children’s Village, and Circles Sharpsburg, sponsored by Roots of Faith.
Catapult: Start-up to Storefront
Catapult is an initiative designed to help local, minority businesses thrive and prosper in East Liberty and the East End. The nine-month business incubator program provides participants with support and technical assistance ranging from setting up legal structures and understanding finances to networking, peer support and one-on-one mentoring.
The program is a partnership between ELDI, Circles Greater Pittsburgh, the Urban Redevelopment Authority, the Larimer Consensus Group and Paramount Co-Op. Paramount Co-Op is an incubator program and co-working space based out of Ambridge, PA that is developing content and helping coordinate the program.
15 businesses were selected for the first cohort, which launched in April 2018. The selection criterion was that they must live or do business in the East End/Larimer community, have a business or business idea that aligns with the East Liberty and/or Larimer Community Business District plans, and be willing to work hard and succeed.
The overarching goal is to help local business owners get what they need to maintain or build successful, sustainable businesses in these neighborhoods, but also to provide a wealth building opportunity that benefits the community as a whole.
Businesses in the first cohort
- Steel City Gumbo – Dominic Odom
- Prater and Sons Contracting – Richard Prater
- Larimer Free Store/Consignment Concept – Aurelia Carter
- Mobile Team Room/Tea Shop Concept – Deborah Batten-Reid
- Natural Beauty Supply Store – Lasheisha Holiday
- Kin of Duncan Youth Apparel – Jasmine Duncan
- Hill Mechanical – Keith Hill
- NQ Bike Ride – Laura Thomas
- 360 Café – Tyleda Worou
- IMIHI Designs – Alexis Cathie
- CobblerWorld – Terina Hicks
- Cultural Oasis – Dana Harris-Yates
- The Brown Insurance Agency – Ronald Brown
- The Professional Barber Institute – Nena and Wahad Ansari
- TLC Libations – Erick and Diane Turner
Get involved + Contact
Catapult will also be hosting monthly community business workshops open to the public. Check back here and follow us on social media for details on upcoming workshops.
Catapult is always looking for partners, mentors, and workspace. If you’d like to get involved or learn more, reach out to Tammy Thompson at email@example.com.